Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Testimony: Life Before Jesus

I was raised Catholic and went to church every Sunday.  It was pretty boring, but I still wanted to try to be good and do what God wanted me to do.  After all, I didn’t want to go to Hell!  I read two translations of the Bible as a teenager, reading four pages a day.  I figured taking the time to read the Bible would probably earn me some brownie points toward Heaven or something.  In college my church attendance was still decent but started to waver.  By the time I had to start taking on adult responsibilities, I was often “too tired” to get up and go to church.  I still believed in God, but I just couldn’t seem to make myself go every Sunday.

NOTE: While I myself always found it difficult to stay focused during Catholic mass, I am not dismissing the value of the Catholic Church.  The reverent, formalized approach to worship is exactly what some people need in order to form a relationship with Christ and give their lives to Him.  I believe God has allowed today’s many versions of Christianity to exist for two reasons: 1) so that people of many different personalities coming from many different walks of life can find Him; and 2) so that Christ’s prediction of false prophets would come true, as there are some churches or evangelists who claim Christ but preach something else entirely, such as wealth for all who believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment